

---

BUENOS AIRES – APRALO Monthly Meeting  
Wednesday, November 20, 2013 – 08:00 to 09:00  
ICANN – Buenos Aires, Argentina

HOLLY RAICHE: First of all, welcome to this APRALO Monthly Call for November. We have a number of people here and we have some people online. What I'd like to do first is go around the room. Can people please identify themselves and the organization they're with? I'm starting on my left. Hong?

HONG XUE: Thanks. I'm Hong Xue from the Chinese Domain Name Users Alliance.

DON HOLLANDER: I'm Don Hollander from the Pacific Internet Partners.

RAF FATANI: I'm Raf Fatani. I'm the NomCom selectee for the AP ALAC.

AVRI DORIA: Welcome Raf. Do continue.

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO: Good morning. I'm Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro, outgoing ALAC member and your representative to the ALAC.

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

SILVIA VIVANCO: I'm Silvia Vivanco, ICANN staff.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Siranush Vardanyan, APRALO Vice Chair.

HOLLY RAICHE: Holly Raiche, APRALO Chair.

JULIA CHARVOLEN: Julia Charvolen, ICANN staff.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Susie Johnson, ICANN staff.

ELLEN STRICKLAND: Ellen Strickland, Internet New Zealand.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Maureen Hilyard, ALAC Elect.

GARTH BRUEN: Garth Bruen, NARALO Chair.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Heidi Ullrich, ICANN staff.

EDMON CHUNG: Edmon Chung, ISOC Hong Kong.

---

[JARROD]: [Jarrod], ICANN staff.

SPEAKER: [inaudible 00:06:25] from the Internet Society of China.

ALI ALMESHAL: Ali AlMeshal, Bahrain ISOC and ALS.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you everybody. The first Item on the Agenda is the spotlight for today, which is Siranush. Are we ready to go ahead with our PowerPoint?

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Yes. Hello everyone. Today I will do a brief presentation of the organization that I represent. This is the Armenian Association for the Disabled PYUNIC. PYUNIC in Arмянian, in translation into English means phoenix, the bird. This is some kind of symbol of coming to life. This is an organization that was established in 1989 after the devastating earthquake in Armenia, which is called the Spitak earthquake, where we had officially 25,000 dead and more than half a million homeless people.

So you can imagine for the country with a population of three million – what does that mean? How many disabled were there after that that we had in our country, and what kind of huge problem we started to have with those people there. This organization was established for that purpose – to help people come to revival and survive after that tragedy.

---

So it was registered as an official organization in 1990, and we have more than 70 volunteers working in that organization and about 20 staff members providing year-round services.

The organization is supported by many international organizations, local organizations, because you can imagine that solely, one organization cannot deal with all these difficult issues. The major gift, which was given by the Government of Armenia, was the building where now the organization is working. We'll see this building in the video that we're going to see in a couple of minutes.

The building is still half-renovated. It's huge, and we're in the process of finding different sponsor and rebuilding, one by one, each room. The mission of the organization is the integration of the disabled into society through their physical, social, psychological rehabilitation, protection of their rights, assistance to their health and education issues, creation of income-generating business for them, and development of national sports for the disabled.

There are several goals, which we put as our major ones. These are to promote physical, social and psychological rehabilitation of disabled people, utilize sports to develop strong bodies and active minds, develop skills to meet challenges of life for the disabled, disabled rights protection – which is one of the important issues – and public education through dissemination of information on the issues of disability.

Many people don't know about their issues, and the problems of integration of these people into the community. Also, prosthetic services and income-generating business for disabled. The organization is providing clothing, food and medical devices for people with

---

disabilities. It advocates for their social and educational needs, and there are several social projects in the disaster zone. This is the zone that is the epicenter of the earthquake, which covers almost half of Armenian territory.

I will not go through all the projects we currently implement, but I will mention a couple of key ones. Since 1989 we have organized 24 summer and winter camps for kids with disabilities, and we have huge support from the Government – namely the President of Armenia; the former and the current. They continue to support this organization and organizing summer and winter sports.

Sports include swimming, sailing, weightlifting, archery, wheelchair basketball, table tennis, alpine skiing and sailing. Members of our organization participate in year-round athletic training. They are participating in world, European and open championships. In 1994 the first Armenian Disabled Olympics was organized. Members of our organization are participating in different international sport events.

There on the PowerPoint you see some pictures of national championships and international championships. Our members participated in summer and winter Paralympic Games in Atlanta '96, Sydney 2000, Salt Lake City 2002, Athens 2004, Turin 2006, Beijing 2008, Vancouver 2010 and London 2012. Now we're planning to send a group to Russia, to another Paralympic Games.

So we maybe don't have first medals there, but in Turin, if I'm not mistaken, we got fourth place. Actually, this is really good. It's not the issue of being the winner, because we consider that by participating they are already the winners. I personally also participate in annual

---

marathons – from Yerevan to Ejmiatsin; this is the holy center where on the 21<sup>st</sup> of September this is the Independence Day in the country.

Groups of people in wheelchairs, together with us volunteers, are going to Ejmiatsin, to the holy center. This is 20km. We stop twice on the way. The [holy cost? 00:13:53] is always going outside greeting the kids there. So this is encouraging and full of fun. I really enjoy going there because working with those people, you yourself feel very uplifted. We will see on the video that there are some opportunities that we're trying to create for business purposes.

Last year we collaborated with one of the official operators in Armenia, and out of that collaboration 14 disabled people were hired by that organization to work there. We are also in a very good partnership with the Ministry of Emergency Situations, and we also have ten to twenty people currently working there.

We have a lot of organizations who are supporting us with wheelchairs, and we even provided not only to the disabilities that are part of the organization, but we announced through the country that there is an opportunity for adult people, who have no other possibilities to move to come and take a wheelchair for their own purposes.

But the issue is that the country itself is not ready for the disabled to go outside of their homes. It's very difficult. Even the building that we have is almost 1km from the main bus station, and we have a small bus, or the car of the owner, who knows that there is a training there. He goes to the bus station and takes the kids there.

---

The kids themselves made their into way to the building for themselves, but you can imagine that all over the country public transportation, other public offices, cinemas – they are not accessible for people to fully integrate into the community. So we have vocational training. We also organize computer training for disabilities, but this is actually a very small computer center. We have a huge room but we only have three computers there.

We even had a problem with the teacher who could come and teach those kids without any salary, but now we've solved that issue and we have a volunteer who's coming there. But you can imagine, three computers and so many disabled. Even technically, this center is not fully equipped, but this is a starting part. This center was funded by the Canadian Embassy in Moscow, by the way.

We also have silk-screening training, established in 2000. We have handmade cards, which started in 2002 and kids are preparing those cards themselves and we're selling those cards for different holidays, etc., and there's also an arts and crafts training center. Children and young adults are taught to paint, woodcarving and ceramic work. We're also trying to sell them some of them in different expos, etc.

Okay. Here we are now please, if we can watch the video? It's a five-minute video about the history. It's probably a couple of years old and maybe the quality won't be very good, but I hope that at least it will give you a visual idea. [video plays]

SPEAKER:

...That would give us a few minutes for questions.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: I think... We don't time as well. We've got a number of things to get through. We've only really got time for a couple of questions. I think maybe we can put the video on the website? Yes? Okay, we'll post it. Are there any questions? Just a couple – we don't have a lot of time. Before we do that, [Imani] and Satish and... Glenn? Could you please identify yourselves for the transcript records?

SPEAKER: [inaudible 00:21:08], ISOC Armenia.

SATISH BABU: Satish Babu from the Computer Society of India.

[IMANI]: [Imani Louis? 00:21:18]. I'm from [inaudible] ALS.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you. Questions?

DON HOLLANDER: My name is Don Hollander from... I have different hats but I'll put a Pacific Internet Partners hat on. We see similar programs happening in the Pacific. Our focus in PIP is to leverage ICT as a catalyst for prosperity. What I heard from you was that part of your program was ICT focused, only a small part, and that seems to be very under-



---

resourced. I'd like to suggest that you engage with some community groups such as Rotary or [Koalas? 00:22:05] or Lions.

I know that in the developed world they're forever trying to find things to do, and it could give you an opportunity not only to get computers, but ideally get some of your students to learn how to fix and repair computers, which depends on the type and level of disabilities. That would then give them a career opportunity. I'd also point you to the DDD – Digital Divide Data – based in Cambodia. They've been working with war victims for more than ten years, by providing these war victims with education and work, concurrently. It's a world-class program, DDD. I encourage you to look at that and use that as a model.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you very much. We have a question from Gunela?

JULIA CHARVOLEN:

Gunela's question is, "I know that Armenia has signed an ratified the UN Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities, which is excellent. Have you found that this helps to work with the Government to improve accessibility to buildings and transport, and hopefully when funds permit to help people get training in the Internet? I realize that there has been some ISOC community grant funding?"

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN:

Thank you Gunela for the question. Yes, you are right. ISOC Armenia recently implemented one project for deaf and blind kids. There is a center established due to this grant program. There are a couple of

---

other similar projects that are being implemented in the country. We signed that convention as well – coming back to the first part of your question – but it’s really very difficult all over the country to have all these facilities ready for people with disabilities to use them.

It should be a nation-wide program, which is not in place. This is one of the key and major issues that our disabled have in the country. For the organization itself we try to make it in a proper way for them to have access, but usually people can’t even go outside of their home because there are stairs. It’s very difficult. They can do that only if there is someone who can support them. So I think that signing this Agreement or Memorandum may help in the future, but this is not the case now for the country.

HOLLY RAICHE:

I think we’ve got a hard stop there. We’re going to have to take this offline. There are a couple of things that we really have to get through. At 8:30 Paul Wilson is going to be here. Paul Wilson is the CEO of APNIC and he’ll be talking about the MOU that we’re about to sign. The hard copy’s has been passed out to everyone. Before that though, Maureen wants to have a couple of words about metrics. If we can talk about metrics first, before Paul gets here?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

That would be fine. You’re all aware that I’m on the Metrics Working Group with a host of other people. We’re actually looking at the task of the Working Group, which is to look at metrics for ALAC, for ALSes and for RALOs eventually. So we’re looking at ALAC first. We’re looking at...

---

Probably looking at ALSes and assessing the representative that they choose for their RALO on the ALAC.

What we're actually looking at is what metrics, what measurements what performance assessments do you think are appropriate to assess whether your ALAC representative is actually delivering? Although at the moment we're just looking at the basics; measurements, and it's a numbers-oriented thing, we're looking at attendance, we're looking at meeting participation and that sort of thing, and voting.

But what we're saying is how does that actually evaluate the value that that person brings to the role of the ALAC representative. What we're actually trying to get from people is, "What do you think would be appropriate to assess, and how do you think it would be appropriate to be assessed?" I've spoken to NARALO, I've spoken to LACRALO, and I've already had some really interesting comments that numbers aren't the only way to measure.

We could be benchmarking, being more task-oriented in our assessments. Looking at Working Group for example, it's not just the fact that you turn up to a Working Group online meeting and you're connected onto the Adobe, but perhaps there are some people that are connected but don't participate in any way. What we're looking at is what the objectives are of the Working Group, whether they're achieved, and how has that person contributed to that achievement?

So being task-oriented is a really good way of assessing value. Those sorts of things we need to be able to take on board and address, but also we need to look at what kind of tool we use, that we're not going overboard in the way in which we assess. It can really be quite onerous

---

to have an assessment tool that's going to have somebody ticking boxes or making comments every time you participate.

Who's going to keep track of the hundreds of *volunteers* who actually go onto Working Groups, attend meetings and come along to meetings like this? I'd really like you all to be thinking... If you can all flick me a comment, we'll summarize those comments, put them on the Wiki, and they'll be available for you to have a... I'll be looking to see who actually comments, Don, yes.

The other thing is, I expect that people from APRALO will be doing an overview every so often about the people that you're actually electing into a particular position, or you see people nominating themselves for positions – and in fact we have lots of Working Groups where we need volunteers for a particular Working Group, everybody volunteers, and then we hold an online meeting and there might be three or four people who turn up.

Not that just they're the only ones that turn up, but there are perhaps others who may give their apologies because they can't attend a particular meeting, but at the same time there are lots of people who nominate themselves for positions and never actually do participate. So it's... But at this particular point in time we're after feedback.

If you can give us some hints on what to measure, how to measure, and if there are any particular tools that you're aware of that might be helpful to us. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

First, thank you Maureen. Silvia, could we again circulate a link to the Wiki for comments for metrics? There are some comments already but I don't think I saw any from APRALO? I did, yes, but that's only me. I think the next thing while we're waiting for Paul is just a quick look at the policy page. I hope you'll look at the policy page. You do get email reminders as to what's there.

The policy page, by the way, if you go to the website, go to ALAC and then go to the policy page, the things that were particularly important... For those of you who attended yesterday, we actually met with the ATRT 2. We had a briefing with them and there were a lot of comments made. As it was pointed out yesterday though, really the drop-dead deadline for comments to Rinalia is either today or tomorrow.

We need those comments as soon as possible, because the 21<sup>st</sup> is the drop-dead deadline and we need to incorporate all the comments that were made. So if you attended and you'd like to make a point, or if you didn't attend, please read that review and have a look. The other outstanding issues that are open for comment, aside from ICANN's draft, vision and mission, we have got the ccNSO FOI Working Group Interim Report on Revocation.

This is very near and dear to Cheryl's heart and she might say a few words – I won't let you right now though, sorry – I'm just going to go through the list and then I'll ask, while you get organized. There's also a comment on the At-Large Thick WHOIS Policy Development Process. There's a very brief comment. We're simply saying, "We've said for a very long time we like Thick WHOIS, and we're saying it again."

---

There are, also for comment, proposed bylaw changes regarding the Technical Liaison Group, and those of you with a technical bent I would suggest have a look. We haven't confirmed who's holding the pen on that, but we may, if people are interested, have that. Finally, we're developing a statement on the Policy and Implementation Working Group. Alan Greenberg is holding the pen on that and again we're looking for comments.

I suggest that you all read all of those, and particularly the ATRT 2. Cheryl, if you want to have a quick word on revocation as well? Just to explain to people what that issue is?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Happy to do so, Holly. First of all, we need to recognize that because Rinalia is holding the pen from the At-Large AC perspective, you could probably rest on her laurels and simply come in with a formal comment on the page for support of what's going to be her... I think she's up to her penultimate, if not ultimate, draft.

I would however encourage... Because this is a matter of some interest to a number of the local Internet communities, not just in the emerging economies and small-island states, but I'll point out that Australia is one of the countries that's had a revocation and redelegation – so you don't need to think that we're not interested in this at the edge, because we certainly are.

There is an excellent webinar, which is recorded, and the slide-deck I've attached to not only the ccNSO Liaison Wiki page, but also to the comments page, which is what your Agenda will refer to. Please use

---

that resource to actually take out to your edge communities. For example, I know some of our countries are particularly interested in what it means to have the difference between a delegation, a transfer and a redelegation, and what 'revocation' is.

That work is done, it's good work. Rinalia's comments, I think, will be able to reflect most of what you will be thinking anyway, but listen. Some of the comments on the Wiki page clearly indicate that the people who are making those comments do not understand. They have not listened to the webinar. I would encourage you to make your comments after you've listened to the webinar. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you Cheryl. Now, everybody should have a hard copy of the memorandum of understanding. Paul's taking his time getting up to the 24<sup>th</sup> floor. Hopefully he's not climbing the stairs. I suspect that the meeting being held, that was forecast yesterday, about the [One Star? 00:37:03] is going on a bit long. This is something that... it's a very brief MOU that we are proposing to have with APNIC.

The title of it is, "Collaboration and Mutual Support". Obviously the two parties are us and APNIC. The Agreement is to basically, as the statement says, "Recognize the benefits of mutual cooperation, its anticipated each party will benefit from the complementary skills, the parties mutually agree – and some of these words are from MOUs that already exist.

"Promote the infrastructure, development and business in the region, agree to cooperate to promote Internet standards, infrastructure,

---

development and services to encourage Internet development in the Asia Pacific region...” as we know, that’s a big region. “Maintain an open communication channel for the mutual development of both organizations,” and Paul was going to be here.

“To collaborate to facilitate joint capacity building events and related activities of mutual interest from time to time, including meetings, training projects, workshops, research and development, and to collaborate and create awareness that promotes both regional partnerships through outreach and fellowship programs on matters relating to Internet identifiers, Internet use, Internet governance.”

There’s one little word that’s hidden in there, and it’s one... There are a couple of things that APNIC does very well. They have terrific training programs, which are offered for free. Or you can have fellowships. So what Paul and APNIC are looking at is the possibility of... I think either continuing their training or enhancing their training programs to where it doesn't exist, offering fellowships for training purposes to enhance our mutual cooperation...

So I’m sorry, Paul’s not here, but actually, Maureen, you’ve worked with Paul. Do you want to talk about the sort of MOU that you’ve got with APNIC?

MAUREEN HILYARD:

Thank you Holly. This is actually very similar to the agreement that PIC ISOC has with APNIC. We use APNIC for our PacINETs, and firstly – there are lots of reasons but this is one of the main things – they are very good at specifying the sorts of things... Working with the partner



---

organizations to specify what their needs are, so that the training they provide is actually very specific.

I was telling Holly this morning about Tonga, and how the Government was so impressed with the Liaison that had been done before our actual event in Tonga at our PacINET, that they allowed... I think there was about 30 or 40 people in the actual training room. When they came on the first day we thought, “Wow, our PacINET’s really great,” and we found out that most of them were going to the APNIC training.

But it was really good, because it really looked at what their needs are. The fact that the Ministries actually allowed their staff to attend this week-long training session, they were really impressed with the training that the staff received. So that’s just one of the things, but they also provide fellowships to attend technical training within the region, so there is that sort of thing.

Although it’s not something that we’re looking at specifically for APRALO, but if they were... It’s one of the reasons why we put fellowships in there, but at the same time there are lots of things that APNIC does that we could totally take advantage of across the region. I think one of the things that Paul mentioned yesterday is of course that within the Asia region there’s another NIC.

At the same time, we thought it would be quite good to have an MOU with at least one of them, and because we’re talking Asia Pacific, because they are Asia Pacific that that might be appropriate for us.

---

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you Maureen. I've got Siranush on my left who would like to make a comment or a question, and then Cheryl.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: It's not a question it's just a comment. My only concern is that APNIC, by covering Asia Pacific, doesn't include our region, Armenia. So we need to make sure that this region is also included for the opportunities for training, fellowships, etc. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Actually, that was a matter that Paul himself brought up. He said there's going to have to be some cooperation between APNIC and the other NICs. As he said, "We go all the way to the stands." That's the way he put it. So that will have to be worked through, but certainly he's quite aware of the problem. Cheryl?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'll pose a question in a minute. In fact, I might pose two. What we need to recognize is these are not exclusive documents in terms of there can only be one. There can be many. Whilst this can be seen as a precedent, it's an opportunity and perhaps even a template, one might suggest, once we do a few edits, to have something to take to other NICs. Might I look across the table though, not just NICs. Don't go out the window, Don, come back to me. Look at me. Look at me.

There are other opportunities for training, and obviously the ccTLD community across the area is one of those. At every ICANN meeting of course there is the ccNSO's technical training day... So we've all got to

---

work in a mechanism of cooperation and working smarter, not harder. I also think it's very important that we make sure that our Regional Vice Presidents are kept apprised of these initiatives, for two reasons.

I use the plural there – I'm quite sure [the quake? 00:44:25] will be very pleased to not only see this as a good step forward for us, as a component part, but he may be able to broker a further of these deals, because this is a precedent if it shows any sort of return on investment. I've said the plural, because it may indeed be inspiration for inclusion in other regional strategies. I think MOUs are great things, but they're not necessarily the only structure we can find to cooperate.

I'd like to ask whether there's anyone who actually disagrees or has an issue other than dotting I's, crossing T's, putting in commas, putting in hyphens, saying "RALO" as one ought to do when you've got it in a full-name, "Regional At-Large Organization" – RALO in brackets "belongs" – and dashing a little sign dated by seals, if appropriated, and witnessed to the document, and just getting this through.

HOLLY RAICHE:

All that will happen, as long as everyone's happy. Now we have to note that Rinalia has also joined the meeting, and hopefully offline we'll have a briefing from what other meeting she's attended. We've got two other items, because I think Paul's probably been held up. First of all, I have to say we did have on here, "Planning for the Singapore meeting and showcase event."

Well, the planning for the showcase event has already occurred over coffee, as I understand it, at 14:00 one afternoon, and I'm delighted that

---

we've already got it all planned. So that ends that Item. The other Item though that needs to be planned for it is we were hoping to have another Multistakeholder Forum in the format that we've done before, to talk about a particular issue. That's still an Item to be done. That we will take over for the next meeting.

The final Item... Cheryl is...

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I have one comment relating to Singapore prep work – I would just like to really express my thankfulness and appreciation to [Imani], Ali and Maureen for coming up with... The team, and Pavan, for being there remotely but supporting with his real great intervention to staff. There are a couple of things that we'll come back to all of you on, and we're planning to do some kind of video so all of us should be featured there.

We'll be back to you with all that stuff. Of course, we'll need staff support in some prep work. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: For ladies it's getting the lippy on.

SILVIA VIVANCO: I just wanted to thank you for organizing yourselves so quickly and efficiently in just a few hours. The details for the showcase is almost... I've noted the Action Items for us, for staff. We will carry out our Action Items, of which we have several, and may I suggest that we have a conference call as soon as we get back home in a week or so, to start organizing the details? That's all. Thank you.

---

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Please can we have a Doodle for that?

SILVIA VIVANCO: We'll have a Doodle with Asian-friendly times.

LIANNA GALSTYAN: I just want to say that I'm ready to be involved in this group and this team to help with the showcase. Thank you.

HOLLY RAICHE: Go ahead Maureen.

MAUREEN HILYARD: Just to remind everyone – I think Pavan's already got a meeting planned for Thursday, the 28<sup>th</sup>. I think he sent a message out to everyone, so if we can all be there for him that that meeting that would be great.

HOLLY RAICHE: Thank you Maureen. Cheryl was actually going to talk about the update on the Rules of Procedure, but she first wants to make a comment. Before that we have a brochure in Hindi for us, so I'm not taking these home folks!

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thanks for that Holly, and yes, I do hold the next part of the Agenda but I'm also assuming that there's also some Any Other Business to come

---

after that, so I'll be very brief. I just want to point out that with Singapore being the next ICANN meeting, and that being very much in on of our hubs, doing the ceremonial signing of MOUs might be highly appropriate there.

There is enough time between now and Singapore – I'm looking across the table lovingly and longingly again – to perhaps explore if there were any other understandings, relationships or statements about cooperative work that we could actually showcase? Not just the wonderful At-Large structure, but some meaningful, horizontal engagement.

I think that's something else that the Regional Vice-President should be specifically involved in. There may be a new business sponsorship for example, for something. There's a bunch of stuff that we could perhaps look at, and if we've got a point in time where there's a promotional opportunity, even good corporate citizens like to get their five minutes of fame from doing it. I just wanted to make that point.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Does anybody want to ask any questions or make any comments? Otherwise we're going to hear an update. YJ?

YJ PARK:

I think we are talking about these APNIC MOU issues right now, right? As many of you know, this APNIC structure is quite different from other RIRs. Basically, APNIC's membership is based on the ccTLD institutions. Many of them are like the ccTLD registries, because a lot of those ccTLD registries in the Asia region also cover the IP address allocation issues.

---

So maybe when you think about this collaboration between At-Large and APNIC, ccTLD is a very critical component of the APNIC dynamics. So I think maybe we can... Yes.

HOLLY RAICHE: APNIC is here, and you don't have a choice.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Pablo, come to the table and welcome, but please be warned: be brief.

HOLLY RAICHE: Yes, we have a very strict nine o'clock cut-off, but APNIC is here to talk about APNIC and what to do.

PABLO HINOJOSA: I think you all know what APNIC does, so I hope we don't need to introduce the whole lot. What was it exactly that you wanted to...?

HOLLY RAICHE: We've just talked about the MOU that we talked about yesterday, and what I said to Paul was if you want to have a couple of words about the sort of training you do, the sort of programs you have that the membership here could benefit from?

PABLO HINOJOSA: I think, as you know, the tradition is that we are very welcoming in terms of establishing partnerships. We're very committed to capacity building in the region. We have a strong presence overall on those aspects,

---

obviously in those that narrow down to our very specific realm, which IP addresses, but that affects the whole Internet in one way or another.

Also, it's crosscutting – we have a pending, welcoming self-conversation with Don on possible collaboration with ccTLDs, on IPv6 for example. I think the same applies to APRALO and I think there are definitely strong intersections and things in common, and we'd be very happy to explore that, put them in writing and find where our interests can be supported. I'm happy for that, and I think we're working on it already and perhaps we can formalize that process.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Thank you very much for the very brief introduction into APRALO. We've got about one minute, possibly two. Five? Cheryl, you've got three. Then I've got one.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you Holly. There is a point in the Agenda, which I'm going to take less than three minutes to deal with. What I want to simply do is draw your attention to the work being done on the revitalization, review, refreshment and possible rewriting of our Operational Procedures within the region. You have a small but active Sub-Committee working on your behalf.

I want you to look to Maureen and note that the work she's doing in the ALAC Metrics Sub-Committee is in some way also reflected in the work she's going to be bringing to our regional one, and that's making sure that the At-Large structures are constantly updated and are aware of



---

what straw-man proposals and things we're making. Gunela and Ali have put together some of our framework work.

KT, who many of you know, love and respect as a previous Chair of the RALO, has gone through and is looking at some rough documentation of how we can take what we believe we need, to continue as-is from our existing rules, into a new format, and add to that format additional things such form of proxy and a couple of other things that will be coming forward to you.

The warning here is we want to have sign-off and adoption of these rules at the Singapore meeting. We realize this is a difficult time over a particular time of year when many of your At-Large structures are very busy with home or celebratory parts of their life – but we'd like you to watch the space and come in behind it. Make your comments as we go because very shortly before Singapore, we'll actually be asking for sign-off.

So the timing is between now and a month prior to Singapore – so think February/March – where you need to be comfortable that these newly proposed and revitalized rules will be able to be adopted at the Singapore meeting. That's it from me on that, at which point I'd like to hand it back to you for the very important matter of Any Other Business. I stand here as the Queen of Procedure to assist.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Before that particular Any Other Business, I'd like to say we need volunteers for the spotlight for the next meeting. We've already had Satish – thank you very much –, and Ali, thank you very much. We've

---

had Siranush... So please put your hands up. We'd like to hear about your organization, and we, the Executive Team, will pick within two weeks, if we don't hear from somebody putting their hand up.

So [Imani] could talk, Rinalia could talk, Edmon could talk... We can go right down. So which one of you is putting your hand up first? I leave you with it, but I do expect to hear. The other area of business.... Yannis! There you are. Yannis is the next one. The other is that I have been nominated and accepted a position on the actual At-Large Leadership Team, which means I have not only too much to do but way too much to do.

With that, what I've done is say to Siranush that I want her to be Chair. She's very stupidly said yes. I am not walking away. I will still sit next to her and probably hit her in the ribs if she doesn't do the right thing. But for all intents and purposes she's your new acting Chair – I say 'acting' because we don't want to hold an election now and then hold an election in a few months' time, so it's a way of saying...

Cheryl, who's the Queen of the Rules, is going to explain all, because she explained it to me but I don't dare explain it back to her.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you Holly. You are a wise woman indeed. What we are doing is causing a casual vacancy. Holly has recognized that in stepping up to the leadership role she does not want to appear to have too many leaderships roles in a line.

She still serves, ex-officio on the leadership of the APRALO because of her role in the leadership representation to the ALAC anywhere, but

what we have are two Vice-Chairs and one willing and able – both communication and time-allocation wise – to do what Vice-Chairs are there for, which is to do the job of the Chair when the Chair is unable to.

This will mean that we'll have a bi-election closer to the required time, which I will remind you, under our existing Operational Procedures, has to be settled by June in any calendar year. It may suit us to do a call and for, and an election/selection of a replacement Chair, in the first two to three months of next year. Again, it's one of those times that we could have a full, frank and perhaps even definitive discussion during Singapore.

That would allow people to actually present to the group, in a meeting like this, why they would be an idea Chair of APRALO. I'll remind you that we also need to run an election for the second Vice-Chair by June next year, because they're rotational.

So we do not have a power vacuum – we have a casual vacancy, and in the situation of a casual vacancy we have two Vice-Chairs, one of which has been asked, has the capability, has the time, is connected telecommunications-wise, and has accepted to do that role. Are there any objections to that?

HOLLY RAICHE: I dare you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much. Congratulations Siranush, I think the Chair is now yours.

---

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: I'd like to thank you all and would like to highlight that I can't do anything without your support, so I hope all of you will be there and all of you will be supporting this process for the whole region. Thank you.

SALA TAMANIKAIWAIMARO: I'm not sure what time this is for those who are streaming in in the remote participation, but warm greetings from Buenos Aires. As one of the outgoing ALAC members, and noting that this is the last official APRALO meeting in my capacity as an ALAC member, I'd like to formally thank the APRALO Executives; current Executives and also former Executives who are not currently present.

Thank you for your trust and your faith in putting us into these positions, and these past two years have not been easy and it's been an incredibly difficult time, particularly for someone who was outside the ICANN community – coming in and having to learn the mechanics, participate and going back to the edges and to the fringes.

I'd also like to take this time to thank Cheryl Langdon-Orr for telling me when I was outside the ICANN community, for reaching out and saying, "Would you be interested, Sala? Come and play!" I must say, it's given me an incredible appreciation for the excellent work that's done within the community, and yes... I have great appreciation for the hard work that you all play, and this is just my final official thank you.

I will not escape, Cheryl, you have my word. I will say in my native tongue: [inaudible 01:03:44].

---

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Very briefly, I would also like to thank Sala for the great job she's done over the last two years, and I'd also like to welcome Raf to that new position. Welcome to the family!

HOLLY RAICHE: For those online, we not get sweets. So virtually go and enjoy something sweet because we've been rewarded. Thank you sir!

SPEAKER: I object to the lollies!

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]