

---

BUENOS AIRES – ALAC Policy Discussion - Part II  
Tuesday, November 19, 2013 – 16:00 to 18:00  
ICANN – Buenos Aires, Argentina

MATT ASHTIANI: The time is 3:52 PM, November 19, 2013. We will shortly begin the ALAC Policy Discussion, Part II for Buenos Aires, ICANN 48.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, okay, okay. Ladies and gentlemen, we'll start in a minute or so.

Okay, could we have the recording on, please. Welcome back, everybody. This is the ALAC Policy Discussion, Part II. We have a full agenda, and we are starting first in a discussion with the Address Supporting Organization (ASO). And because not everyone knows everybody here, we'll have a quick round of introductions. All of the members of At-Large, or most of the members of At-Large, have got tent cards, but perhaps could we go through the members of the ASO or ASO Address Council. I'm not sure who is here. First, welcome, Louis.

LOUIS LEE: Thank you, Olivier. Of course, that's why we do our introductions, so we know who we all are. I'm Louis Lee, the chair of the ASO Address Council, and this is Louis's hat. I expect the hat to have more friends on Facebook than I do before too long.

The Address Council is charge with processing global policy and putting up two Board members. And we can go more into what global policy

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

means versus regional policy if there are questions about that. And we are part of the ASO organizations. The larger organization includes the CEOs of the RIRs, the RIR staff, and also the I might say membership but community is a better way to say it because the stakeholders in the ASO group don't necessarily have to be any kind of paying members of any sort. They can just voice their opinion and be counted and be heard.

We have much of the Address Council sitting in chairs back there, and I might suggest that each of them come up to a mic or have a handheld mic perhaps that can be shared. Thank you. And, of course, we do have a couple members up here, so we can start with them.

FIONA ASONGA: Good afternoon, everyone. My name is Fiona Asonga representing AFRINIC on the ASO Council.

WILFRIED WOEBER: Wilfried Woeber from the RIPE region and also on the ASO.

HANS PETTER HOLEN: Hans Petter Holen also from the RIPE region.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just in time, Hans Petter.

NARESH AJWANI: My name is Naresh Ajwani. I'm a vice chairman at this Council and represent APNIC.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Please, stand up. The voice came. Ah, here we go. Now we see you.

NARESH AJWANI: My name is Naresh Ajwani. I'm a vice chairman at this Council. I represent APNIC.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. Thank you.

RICARDO PATARA: Ricardo Patara representing the LACNIC region.

TOMOHIRO FUJISAKI: Good afternoon. My name is Tomohiro Fujisaki from APNIC.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Hello, everyone. Filiz Yilmaz. Hi.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Hello, Filiz.

FILIZ YILMAZ: Do I have to climb the chair? You can see me, I think. Yeah, hi. RIPE region, I just got elected in October. Thank you.

- 
- ALAN BARRETT: Hi, I'm Alan Barrett I'm from the AFRINIC region on the ASO AC.
- JORGE VILLA: Okay. Hi, everybody. I am Jorge Villa from the LACNIC region.
- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Looking around, did we miss anyone?
- LOUIS LEE: And I think perhaps the CEOs may be coming later. And we do have RIR executive and board folks with us. Kenny, do you want to?
- KENNY HUANG: Kenny Huang. APNIC executive council member. Thank you.
- LOUIS LEE: I believe that's it for the moment. The RIR CEOs may be coming in a little later.
- OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. Thank you very much. So the meetings we had in the past, a few of them were breakfast meetings between the respective leadership of the ALAC and the leadership of the, I believe it was the RIRs that we met. And there have been some developments since. Now we're going to put my colleagues on the spot right now to expand a little bit, explain what has been happening in their region. I understand that there is some collaboration that has taken place between regional RIRs and the Regional At-Large Organizations (RALOs) in order to get some kind of

---

update, I guess, to see what our different regions have been doing and how they've been involved.

Shall we start alphabetically perhaps with AFRALO? I see Fatimata on one side and Tijani Ben Jemaa. Who wishes to start? Fatimata Seye Sylla?

FATIMATA SEYE SYLLA:

Thank you, Olivier. I am chair of AFRALO. Well, what we did with our original registry, we signed an agreement. This is during Durban. And in fact, we had also to update a little bit the contents to expand it to other activities. And I signed it last month, and we're waiting for [inaudible] to send it back to us.

So we're planning to have more activities in Durban. I think for people who attended the meeting, they saw the support AFRINIC provided to us in terms of organizing the local community who wanted to attend the ICANN meeting for the first time. In managing the funds we received from Google because we didn't have the ability to do it in South Africa because we couldn't be managing the funds. And the registry really provided the needed logistics for all the new participants in Durban.

And they're offering to work with us on other activities like capacity building in technical issues within the region and also for the African Internet Summit. We were also invited, and Tijani I'm sure will talk about this and also the other project we want to do with them. I will give the floor to Tijani to complete. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you, Fatimata. In fact, our cooperation didn't start now. Last year, for the African Internet Summit, we were invited to participate, and we organized and we went there. And it was very well done, very well organized, and very well attended. I don't if Mohamed is here because he [inaudible]. And it was the first [inaudible] action of cooperation with AFRINIC.

Now Fatimata told you about their participation in the Durban outreach operation that we did for the local community. And now we are [inaudible] with them to do more projects. We have already an MoU which is already signed, and we are in the phase of developing new agreements according to MoU that we signed last year. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Tijani. Let's go to the next region, and that APRALO. Do we have someone from APRALO? Yes, Holly Raiche, please.

HOLLY RAICHE:

Maureen and I met with Paul and Pablo. So the other APNIC people are probably not aware of this. We met with Paul this afternoon to finalize an MoU which we think we're going to wait until Singapore so we can have a really big signing. But Paul Wilson will be attending the APRALO meeting tomorrow to talk about the programs that APNIC has.

It already does an awful lot of training, an awful lot of outreach. So it will be formalizing that, and a few more words will be in the agreement – things like supporting fellowships and supporting some events. But all that is about to be finalized. Well, the wording is finalized, Paul is

---

attending tomorrow, and we're waiting for Singapore to have a big ceremony.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Holly. So that's a work in progress. Next we have EURALO. I'm going to call upon Wolf Ludwig.

WOLF LUDWIG: Thanks. Well, we had some discussion on this during the last time, but we had also some other priorities. We had the first meeting. It was Sandra who met with a representative of [RIPE entity] in Durban. Then we got a kind of a sample copy from AFRALO. And we will take the AFRALO basic version of an MoU with a regional organization and we will suggest this to RIPE and we will enter into a discussion.

But as we had some other regional priorities over the last month, as you may recall we had a lot of work with our first face-to-face general assembly, etc., and also wrap ups post general assembly, etc., but we still believe it's a great idea. It's an opportunity to increase our outreach and impact in the region, and we will follow up on this as soon as possible. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Wolf. I understand there has been some collaboration with regards to EuroDIG?

---

WOLF LUDWIG: Yes, of course, there is not only existing collaboration regarding EuroDIG, there's also an existing collaboration since years as Sandra could explain for ours for the European Summer School on Internet Governance. So there are a lot of close connections and working relationships, existing ones, already, but we simply would like to extend it now onto EURALO level because there may be some projects and common interests we share and to introduce new cooperation on the EURALO level.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Wolf. Just a couple of words on EuroDIG because I just realized after saying this term that not everyone might know what EuroDIG is.

WOLF LUDWIG: Well, EuroDIG is a European dialogue on Internet governance what was created 2008 after an ICANN meeting in Europe in Paris. EuroDIG became a regional success story. It stands for the European IGF now, and EURALO was closely involved in the launch. And the evolution of EuroDIG and EURALO became by the years also a sort of carrier organization for civil society in the EuroDIG project.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Wolf. Next we're going to go to LACRALO with Sylvia Herlein Leite.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Hello. I'm the LACRALO secretariat, and I'm going to speak in Spanish.



---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Spare one of these if anybody needs one. They're all by the table. I don't speak Spanish very well at all. In fact, none, so that's why. I think you can go ahead, Sylvia.

SYLVIA HERLEIN LEITE: Gracias. I wanted to tell you that the LACRALO region following the example of AFRALO from Durban, we have been discussing and analyzing how we can have a memorandum of understanding with LACNIC. And we think it is important we have a good relationship with them. Even they are supporting the last event. The last event was in Córdoba, Argentina regarding the IGF.

Today we held our monthly teleconference where amongst all members we are discussing how this will develop, and we are working on that. We are expecting that in one or two months we will have the results. We are discussing whether we need to sign the memorandum of understanding or not. But I wanted to state on the record that we have a good relationship with LACNIC. With the memorandum or without it, we have a good relationship and we are very happy with that. I don't know if anyone from my region would like to add anything else to that.

JOSE ARCE: I am chair of LACRALO, and I wanted to reaffirm what Sylvia said regarding the relationship which has been very good without any type of framework. This year we had the pleasure of working at the original IGF for Latin American and the Caribbean with LACNIC, and the event was a total success. And this has been an example on how you can work

---

with different organizations and how different organizations can work with LACNIC without any framework.

So we took this to the regional discussion due to the meeting we held at Durban where we had the possibility of doing that. There was no opposition at that moment by the RIR representatives, but LACRALO has to resolve internally before proceeding with this issue. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Jose. And next we have NARALO. Garth Bruen?

GARTH BRUEN: Chair of NARALO. I think last time we did this, I requested that we go in reverse alphabetical order so we don't have to be last every time.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Let's make this an action item then for the next meeting and make sure this is recorded.

GARTH BRUEN: Could you, please? Just rotate, and maybe even randomizing the list so maybe LACRALO can be first every once in a while too.

We don't have any formal relationship with ARIN. It's something that should be considered. We've had certain minimal discussions with them. We are sending some of our representatives to ARIN meetings. There might be an attitude in North America that the network is big, it's robust, it's redundant and that nothing else needs to be done. I disagree. I think there's always room for more work and there are

---

plenty of areas that we can explore and things that we can help each other out on. So it's something that we want to do.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Garth. I've heard that actually the representatives from NARALO were funded by ARIN to go to the ARIN meeting.

GARTH BRUEN: That's right. There was a sponsorship – or I can't remember what the exact term was.

[LOUIS LEE]: A fellowship.

GARTH BRUEN: Fellowship. Thank you. Yes, there was a fellowship, so we're making inroads.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Garth. Well, that's very encouraging from all the regions. Over to you Louis.

LOUIS LEE: Well, thank you very much, Olivier. I think I'm going to take this off. Yeah, the fellowship was for Darlene Thompson, and our fellowship program at the ARIN region allowed for three folks to be sent: one from Canada, one from the U.S., and one from the Caribbean, plus other fellowship programs we also have.

---

So I was kind of hoping that the RIR CEOs would be here by now, but let's go into the policies that are active in the regions that perhaps the ALAC folks or the RALO folks would be interested in. And if we want, we could go by RIR region alphabetically, then that way ARIN would be first. No, wait. AFRINIC would be first, sorry. Sort of randomized slightly.

To put my AFRINIC representative colleagues on the spot, are there any policies being actively worked on or recently enacted that would be especially interesting in this forum? You can say no. Or what are the types of policies being considered? There was one recently about whether assignments can be made to folks who reside outside AFRINIC or it can be used outside the AFRINIC region.

FIONA ASONGA:

Thanks, Louis. I think that has been in our policies for a long time, so it's not a new discussion. Sorry? That has been in the AFRINIC region policies for a long time, so it's not a new discussion. However, there have been requests from outside the region for the AFRINIC region to reconsider that particular policy. However, nothing has been put on the floor yet, so it's a proposal that has not yet been translated into a proper policy proposal as per the format that AFRINIC uses to develop policies. So it's not yet in the policy development process per se.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you, Fiona. Actually, there is one thing to recognize which is that AFRINIC has taken a leadership role in this coalition of the willing, that thing that we're wearing here. Is it Inet? Or 1net. There you go. I can't read that closely there. The 1net coalition. Back to you, Louis.

---

LOUIS LEE: Thank you very much, Fiona. And may I then call on the APNIC representatives. Perhaps one of you can touch on the policy proposals that are active or recently enacted that would be interesting. Maybe Tomohiro can come up to a mic.

TOMOHIRO FUJISAKI: Yes. So the recent policy discussion we have been agreed on is – this is a little bit technical but – so we discussed how to use Internet resources, such as IPv4 address. And we discussed how to distribute [inaudible] APNIC. And also we discussed the – sorry, this is technical – AS number transfer policy in the APNIC. That is the recent policy discussion in the APNIC.

LOUIS LEE: Okay, thank you. Then I'll cover what the ARIN region is doing as far as policy proposals. We are working on drafting an RIR principles policy. Actually, it has had some discussion and it has had various discussions across other regions, and it may at some point become a global policy. But the language is sufficiently different between each region that we don't see that as one consensus document coming out. However, the principles enshrined in this manner will allow for discussion.

However, being that it's not a policy itself – it's guiding principles – well, so do you put that inside a policy to change policy? So we're also considering how else to document this. But putting it through our PDP allows for active discussion, and people are aware of how they can contribute to this discussion.

---

Moving on, the allocation IPv4 and IPv6 address space for out of region requesters, this policy proposal came about from a request from law enforcement actually. The law enforcement was grappling with an issue where an IP assignee – registrant in some language here – were receiving address space and spinning up virtual machines inside the ARIN region justifying that address use by showing a list of customers that are outside of our region in countries where it's difficult to confirm that these are actual people or companies that are using the address space.

And law enforcement is concerned because if the activity is abusive, then they need to find a way to react to enforce the laws, but who do they enforce the laws against? So the community took that to try to draft policy around where it will restrict perhaps what type of customers you can use in your justification.

And the community is divided right now on how to have such a policy in place and whether it even addresses the law enforcement issues. So we welcome input for policy in that manner. It's not a policy just saying whether a bit boundary is bigger, whether a space is larger, how it affects the routing table. It's very much an Internet governance type policy.

Following on, the community introduced a policy to try to merge the IPv4 ISP and IPv4 end-user requirements. The requirements for ISPs or end users receiving address space are right now very different. For ISPs you need to be very large. You have to show customers' use or deployment plans. For end-user customers, you might show a multi-homing or just a small network.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: The fact that you owned a computer.

LOUIS LEE: Yes. But there needs to be some threshold so that not everybody goes directly to ARIN when they are already contracting through an ISP for Internet service. So we're grappling with, well, how big address space should you really be allowed to give out and whether to make this one policy to merge all these requirements or a series of policies covering different topics of the requirements. So that's in discussion right now.

Alright. And I will move on from the ARIN region to the next one which, I believe, would be LACNIC. Alright, and Ricardo will look for a mic.

RICARDO PATARA: Thank you. It's on? Okay. I guess it's just a summation, Louis, that all the proposals are discussed in our mailing list. It is open, transparent. Anyone can subscribe and participate in the process. It's very important to highlight this.

We just had our LACNIC meeting two weeks ago, more or less I guess. And I'll mention two proposals that I think might be in the interests of the community. One is very similar to the one Louis mentioned that states some principles in the management of IP address and ASN administration in the region. This proposal got consensus in the meeting, and it's now in the last call period. It's 45 days for last call.

---

And there is also one to allow inter-RIR transfer of IP addresses. It's in discussion. It was presented. It didn't get consensus. It's still in discussion in the mailing list.

I mentioned two, but I'll also mention another one. A third one is to expand the amount of IP addresses reserved for the [inaudible] period. There will be a stage when every organization will receive just a certain amount of IP addresses. There is a pool for this. Nowadays it's one size, and there are persons in the community proposing to expand the size of this pool. So the idea is to allow more companies at this stage of the exhaustion of IPv4 to receive IP addresses also.

So these are in discussion. Anyone can participate in the mailing list, which is open to anyone.

LOUIS LEE: Thank you very much, Ricardo. And then for the RIPE region – RIPE covers the European, and please correct me if I'm misstating the coverage.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: And some of the Middle East as well.

LOUIS LEE: And some of the Middle East, yes. Wilfried?

WILFRIED WOEBER: Yeah, well, I think in our region we could go on for hours and hours to describe what policy discussions are going on. So in the interest of time,



---

I think there are two aspects that are potentially of interest to this community, and I'd like to sort of put the things into those two bins.

The one bin actually is more oriented towards administrative and housekeeping things in the sense, for example, that we are discussing and converging towards a policy where in the registry or as a registry service everyone could find out which entity actually is the sponsoring RIR for a piece of address space. In our region, we are having this notion of PA and PI standing for Provider Aggregatable and Provider Independent. This PI stuff is largely the same like what in other regions is labeled as end-user assignments.

So there is sort of a big drive to transparency. So in the registry to make it easy to find whom to talk to and who is actually in the administrative path responsible for the management of a certain address space block. This is one of the things.

The other thing that is towards housekeeping and procedure is that there is a discussion to sort of roll back or drop the very special and very peculiar provisions in address space distribution as we were approaching the depletion of the pool. So as we were seeing that our region is going to run out and there was this last /8 policy implemented, there were certain administrative things put in place to make sure that more or less everyone runs out at the same time or sort of to be consistent in the mechanisms to distribute address space.

As we are, like APNIC, already in this last /8 regime, there is no real reason to keep those artificially imposed procedural requirements in place because there is no longer a pool to draw from under the provision of need.

---

Because in our region like in others and probably is going to be the case in LACNIC next, if anyone or any organization applies for address space, there is no longer the notion of need in the sense of giving them blocks of various sizes. So you just get your ration thing, your little bit of address space, and you do whatever is reasonable with that. I think I'll stop at that end.

The other end, which is interesting maybe although not necessarily as applicable to AFRINIC or LACNIC, in North America and in Europe there is a pretty big community of holders of address space which got their addresses before the establishment of the regional registries.

The notion in our region is this is legacy address space, and given a couple of boundary conditions and sort of policy boundary conditions, there are no strict and no consistent mechanisms at the moment to guide the RIPE NCC as the point where the services are provided to guide the RIPE NCC as to the services to offer to those legacy address holders. So there is a policy almost finished right now which invites those legacy address space holders to get in touch with the RIPE NCC or with the sponsoring local Internet registry and become part of the management environment.

I think I'm going to stop right at this point in time because we are under pressure. Thank you.

LOUIS LEE:

Great. Thank you. Just touch on real quick, some of the IPv4 proposals still active are like Inter-RIR address transfers so that address space

---

available in one region can be transferred to folks in another region just to address the problem – no pun intended on that.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Louis. And it looks as though there is a lot going on in the RIRs as far as policy discussion is concerned. Just a question, I have learned recently that Milton Mueller who has been an active participant for a while who is a member of the NCUC I believe and an active participant in the ARIN region.

LOUIS LEE: Right. The ARIN region has an advisory council, right.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Has reached a leadership position there.

LOUIS LEE: Yes, he has. And it actually demonstrates much better that our advisory council within the ARIN region does have multiple viewpoints. It's not just the viewpoint of one segment of the community.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Louis. So I'm actually on each one of the RIR policy mailing lists, which is a challenge for me on the LACNIC one because it's all mostly in Spanish. But I do use translation from time to time cut-and-paste. I'm particularly interested in IPv6 issues, so I don't know if there's an IPv6 [inaudible] specifically on that. But I just wondered if we could maybe have on our own wiki one page which would effectively provide

---

the details of each one of these mailing lists because I guess that's a good first step into getting involved with policy development locally. I understand it is – are all of these mailing lists open?

LOUIS LEE: Yes, they're completely open, and so are the archives. While that may be a good first step to get engaged, I think also along with that is to find somebody to help guide you through. Maybe attending an RIR meeting to where RIR staff can identify an individual to help you through it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So maybe as an action item for this meeting is to have a list of these mailing lists that members here could get subscribed to and have this sent over to At-Large staff. That would be really helpful, and hopefully we can talk about what has been happening on these mailing lists next time we meet.

Any other points or questions to be raised? Fiona? Fiona Asonga.

FIONA ASONGA: I think I have a suggestion. It would be good to have more ALAC members within our region participating in these discussions because I tend to meet them in other fora, but I don't see their views on the discussions.

Because for Africa, I know that we are not all developing at the same pace. And it's only when we engage in other circles that we realize we need to create policies that are balanced and able to address the entire

---

region's needs. Otherwise, we find ourselves a lot of the times in the policy front running developing policies.

When we put them to the floor for discussion, some of our members – the community who consists of both the RIR membership, the customers and ALAC members – are not able to appropriately contribute. But if you engage on the mailing list, you help us understand some of the issues better and get us out of our technical boxes to look at things in a different perspective.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Fiona. I see approval from several people around the table, including Tijani. I'm sorry I can't give you the floor. We are running out of time. So I thank all of the members of the ASO and ASO Address Council that are joining us today, and I hope that we can repeat this at the next meeting over in Singapore.

LOUIS LEE: Of course. Thank you. We welcome the opportunity to engage the ALAC at any level.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And moving swiftly in our packed afternoon, we have a small change of plan. There was supposed to be a half an hour session on preparing questions for the public forum. At the moment, I don't think there are any questions for the public forum that are germinating in anybody's minds.

---

So because we did have someone missing on Sunday due to her very packed schedule, thankfully we've managed to make some space – or in fact she has managed to make some space for us. Theresa Swinehart, Senior Advisor to the President on Strategy, we realize you're extremely busy. Thank you so much for being able to visit us today in this ad hoc manner, but it's good that we're able to speak to you. And apparently you have a presentation for us. But first, over to you.

THERESA SWINEHART:

First, I'm terribly, terribly sorry about needing to at the last minute not appear when I was scheduled to appear, and I will do everything not to have that happen again.

Actually it's a question how you would like to run it. I unfortunately don't have too long of a window, but either I can do a slide presentation and it's focused very much on the strategy panels. Or if you would prefer just to have a discussion around the strategic planning process and strategy panels and there are questions. Whichever way, Olivier, you would prefer to use the time. I have about 15 minutes or so. Unfortunately, it's not a huge window, but if there's a preference how you'd like to do it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

I see a suggestion from Holly Raiche.

HOLLY RAICHE:

What about making the slides available, we can have a look at them, but actually you talking a little bit beforehand and we can have a discussion.

---

It's better to have a discussion face-to-face, and then we could look at the slides in our own time later. Or, I mean, are the slides part of what...?

THERESA SWINEHART: They're a little bit part of the discussion. Maybe I go through them, and if we want to interrupt and have conversation about them, we can just stop there. How does that sound?

HOLLY RAICHE: Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Unfortunately, it's the Tuesday afternoon fruit-based computer problem that we often are subjected to every Tuesday afternoon, which means our screens are blank. So we can't go through the slides. We're going to have to speak. As you will notice, the screens are dead.

THERESA SWINEHART: Oh, well then, problem solved. Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, it happens. So the question is solved, and we'll just have to discuss directly with you.

THERESA SWINEHART: Well then, I will just do them from the top of my head then. Excellent. So first of all, it's really a pleasure to be here. Many of you I recognize

---

and know, and others I don't know. So I very much look forward to learning all the new issues around ALAC that have been occurring over the past years. And just because I used to be with ICANN at a certain phase or follow Internet governance, please don't think that I know all the answers or that I really understand all the issues. So I would ask that we always have an open dialogue.

So overall on the strategy panels I think, as many would be aware or you've heard, they were announced at the ICANN meeting in Durban so a little bit before my time. And they really came out of themes that had been identified in the ICANN strategic planning process that warranted a bit more of a, deep dive is the wrong word, but just some different kind of thinking around them, things that have been fairly common that have been coming up. And so from that, the strategy panels were announced and have now been formed and launched and beginning their work.

And I think the thing that I'm finding really important to reinforce is that they are to inform the strategic planning process. They're not recommendations or things that have to be adopted into the strategic planning process but just to inform discussion that have been occurring in the community.

And then during the output of the panels and the public comment period around those as the community looks at them and identifies themes that may be relevant or they think are relevant into the strategic plan itself, which is likewise up for public comment at that time, then those can be incorporated, and the other topic areas may be just for wider community dialogue.



---

So I think that's an important part. I've picked up over the past couple days that there's a concern that they're final recommendations, that they might be policy, that they be absolutely adopted. No. They're just to inform and add some more thinking to some of the themes that we've been having.

So with that, they are running in parallel a bit to the strategic planning process overall. There are four theme areas. One is the Strategy Panel on Identifier Technology Innovation, and that's really looking a technology roadmap around the DNS and other identifiers and just looking at other areas around that. I'm not an engineer, so I'll let the engineers discuss that. And Paul Mockapetris, I'm sure, would be happy to answer any questions.

The other strategy panel is the one chaired by Vint Cerf, which is a Strategy Panel on ICANN's Role in the Internet Organizations' Ecosystem. And that's going to be looking at a range of areas, including ICANN's responsibilities in the current Internet ecosystem. Now importantly, this is not in any way to imply that ICANN's scope should increase or ICANN's mission should increase but rather sort of an assessment, is ICANN adhering to its responsibilities in the Internet ecosystem as a whole? How is it coordinating with global players? Ways that we can maintain and enhance our stewardship in this evolving ecosystem without encroachment on the mission and scope of the organization's mandate.

The other strategy panel is then chaired by Beth Noveck who has done quite a bit around looking at different models and ways to engage in consensus building outside of, interestingly enough, also the technology

---

space. So she has done work with the U.K. government and with different entities that are looking at how do you build consensus around that. So there might be some things that we can all learn from that or not learn. We can see. So she'll be having her strategy panel on that.

And then the last one would be the one chaired by Nii Quaynor, which is looking at the public responsibility framework and ICANN's role in the public interest space. And as any organization evolves, it also has a public interest responsibility. Ours is inherent into also our affirmation of commitments, but given the organization more broadly and that it has that role. And you see that in various sectors now under corporate responsibility and other areas, so I think this is a great opportunity to be looking at that space as well.

So those are the four panels that exist. You have probably heard yesterday there was an announcement of a fifth but independent panel that will be a contribution to the broader Internet governance dialogue, and that's being handled quite separately in its process and all of that.

So those are those panels. Their timeframe is that each of them is having meetings at this ICANN meeting. I would really encourage you if you can to attend sessions that you're interested in attending, or if you don't have an opportunity to attend them, to read the transcript and review it online. And then each of them will obviously have mechanisms for engagement in webinars and input into their processes.

And I'm always ready to answer any questions about them, even if not here but through Olivier. He can send any. So that's sort of the overview of that in the context of the strategic planning process. And I'm happy to...

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Theresa. It's a real pity that we couldn't beam out the presentation. It will be possible. Yeah, okay. So we'll forward the presentation later on on the mailing list so we'll be able to.

THERESA SWINEHART: It's actually a similar one to what was used on Monday at the strategy planning session, so it'll be...

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, the floor is open for questions, and we first have Rinalia Abdul Rahim.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you, Olivier. Theresa, could you just clarify for me? So we have the four panels and we have the strategic planning process. And in yesterday's session on strategic planning, the sections were presented – I can't remember how many – and there were bullets under them. Where did those bullets come from?

THERESA SWINEHART: So this was before my time as well, but the bullets came out in Beijing if my understanding is correct, and anybody who was there correct me if I'm wrong. There was the initiation of a dialogue with the community about what themes and buckets have been arising within the community that would be relevant for a strategic plan.

---

So it's taking a fresh look at what had originally been this one-pager sort of original strategic plan that had existed prior to the preparations of this year. And out of the dialogues with the community during this timeframe, the public consultation period leading into the September timeframe, different themes were pulled out, and that's where the bullets had arisen from.

Those bullets in themselves are, of course, now open for public comment and input, and yesterday's session actually had some really excellent ideas and suggestions on modifications. And again, they should be concise and clear.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Thank you, Theresa. I actually have some follow up questions. So that was the setting of the questions that are coming.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just as a reminder, please say your name when you stop between one person and the other. It's for the interpretation.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: My apologies to the translators.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Interpreters, not translators.

---

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Interpreters. Thank you, Mr. Chairman. You have such value in the process.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Boom. You're lucky they're in their booth because they're about to hit you with something.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: It doesn't matter. I don't mind. So Theresa, in Durban, there was a company that was hired to facilitate the process of gathering input from the community. Was that input now inserted in through these bullets?

THERESA SWINEHART: Yes.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Okay, the answer was yes from Theresa. Is the company still engaged in the process?

THERESA SWINEHART: Yes. Now how they're engaged versus how – let me rephrase. I would need to go back and ask if there's any difference in how they were in engaged in Durban leading into this process as to how they're now being engaged. So I would need to go back and get clarification on that because I was not on staff at the time. So if there is anything specific you want to focus on on that, then I would need to go back to the staff and check on that.

---

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Okay, thank you. That was just my information need. So now the real questions come.

THERESA SWINEHART: So I do actually have a time constraint.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: Okay. That's okay. Yes, I agree that the wordings need to be tightened. In yesterday's session, what I mentioned specifically about the public responsibility framework, I feel that is something that has bigger relevance for ICANN and right now it is just being focused on capacity building. And I wholly support capacity building, but I think it needs to go beyond that.

And I mentioned in the session because some of my colleagues were not there, it has to touch on the elements of accountability, transparency, possibly operational excellence, and another person who commented in the session perhaps even the budgeting process, etc. So that was my comment. I just wanted to share it with my colleagues. Thank you.

THERESA SWINEHART: Fantastic. Thank you. And those were great comments. They were great comments to get at the session. We heard them.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Theresa. And thank you for visiting us. I'm not quite sure if there are any other questions. Are there any further questions? Wow.

THERESA SWINEHART: Can I ask a question?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Please. You may ask a question, absolutely.

THERESA SWINEHART: Okay. So as we're doing the consultation processes with the community, what I would really appreciate any feedback on is, how easy is it to provide that input? Are the mechanisms workable, and are they conducive to how people or participants and stakeholders like to provide input from different regions of the world?

So from a global perspective, is there anything we can change in how we get input into these processes or our strategic plan processes – and you don't need to answer now, but if you want to provide the input through Olivier – that we can do to improve that, especially as we're looking at the strategic areas and the review processes in our department? Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you, Theresa. We have Evan Leibovitch who I saw from the corner of my eye.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Thanks. I think the answer has to do with the structure of At-Large. Because we have this system of ALAC going down to RALOs in the regions and going down to ALSes beyond that, the amount of time you give is going to be able to determine how deep in the structure you're able to go.

Obviously, if you want to try and get real grassroots input that comes down to pulling the individual ALSes, the individual members, the constituents, that's going to take some time and it's going to take a little bit of effort to try and simplify the message. There's an educational task that if you want to get good input, you've got to give good input down to the grassroots level in multiple languages to be able to get it back up and it's going to take some time.

If you say, "Okay, we have two weeks. What can you give us in two weeks?" you're going to get a scramble of a handful of people and you're going to get the best we can do, but it's not going to reflect the depth that exists here. And in fact, this has come up before earlier in the day in that the ALSes, they don't get consulted very often on things.

And if the intention is to really go as deep as possible into ICANN and get that all the way down to the grassroots, it's going to take some time. It's going to take some effort. If you want to make that effort and take that time, you'll get really high-quality stuff but that effort has to be made. Thanks.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Evan. So I think we've reached the end of this session. I know you have to go, Theresa. So it's all fine. We'll follow up



---

by e-mail and follow up after this anyway. So thanks for coming and visiting us.

THERESA SWINEHART: Thanks a lot. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Now the next part of the session is going to involve Sébastien Bachollet with the Meeting Strategy Working Group update. Okay, so I'm told that someone is running to go and get Sébastien, but in the meantime there are members of the Meeting Strategy Working Group present. Tijani, I think you are one of those members. If you could, please provide us with an update. I also do have to apologize for having to run out of the room for the next 25 minutes. I'm in the ATRT-2, so I'll hand the chair of the meeting over to Evan Leibovitch.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: So Sébastien isn't joining us? Okay. Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: Thank you, Evan. First of all, I have to tell you that we are five members of ALAC members of this working group, one from each region. So I see now Eduardo. Sylvia is not here. So we are five. Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Just before I run out, maybe you can share the load and all speak about it.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

So I will start, and Eduardo will complete, and Sylvia if she is here, etc. So the Meeting Strategy Working Group started its work since Beijing, and we had a lot of calls and two face-to-face meetings in Durban, and yesterday we had another face-to-face meeting. We are now preparing our outputs. Yesterday we agreed on the way we will work, and we will have in February another face-to-face meeting in Brussels so that we finalize our part to put it for the public comments.

This strategy of the meetings has to be reviewed because there is a lot of concerns from the meeting staff of ICANN regarding the number of the participants which is increasing and that makes the venue not always available in all regions. Another concern they have, the number of sessions is growing too and this leads to conflicting sessions, as we are living now. So this is also another concern that has to be addressed.

We started working according to those concerns but also according to the need of the community. And we now listed all those, if you want, elements, inputs. We worked and we came up with some strategies that we have to combine now and to get the final report. So I give the floor to Eduardo to complete.

EDUARDO DIAZ RIVERA:

I just want to add that as part of the conversations that we have had since we had this committee, we talked to all the [inaudible] and SOs individually to know their perspective about what they wish to have and the things that the problems that they're having. So we're taking those

---

conversations as inputs to the process, and we will be discussing them during the February face-to-face also. Thank you.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: If there is another member of the working group. Yes, please, Sandra.

SANDRA HOFERICHTER: So for the communities, some very concrete information. We will distribute scenarios in the future where we put the current status and proposed scenarios in opposite to each other asking the community for input. And I think this is a very important stage for the At-Large community to participate.

We will also be able to provide some background – Tijani mentioned it already – about the needs which some of us might not see at the moment because there are a little bit logistical issues like the GAC needs a huge room where they can look at each other and the venue choice becomes smaller and smaller the bigger the meetings are going to be.

And there are various background information we will provide the community with, and I really invite everybody here to join the session which is scheduled for Singapore then because this will explain a lot of the decisions or a lot of the proposals – we are not making a decision, but we will do a proposal. We come up with a proposal, and this will explain a lot of the background why the proposal is the way it will be by then.

Personally, I went into that meeting with a certain opinion on the topic, and I learned a lot how meeting logistics is functioning. Multi-

---

stakeholder and cross-community work will be a very important principle in this working group as well. So we have to find a compromise which works for the entire ICANN community, and this is rather a challenging task as we see in our working group. And I see Sébastien arrive now, so maybe we'll ask him as the chair of the working group.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: I am sure that you've done a very good job, and if I have question I will answer but I didn't attempt to say something at the beginning. You are very good representatives. They are working hard, and they are very pushy, but that's good.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Sébastien, we have already had Tijani and Eduardo talk about the issues in anticipation of you coming. So did you want to add anything that you were preparing to come and say about the issue as the chair of it?

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: No. Just maybe to say that it's a very complicated issue. First, it's a lot of different questions, and when you add all it's really complicated. And when you add the same pile of issues from the different groups, it becomes more complicated. And if you add that there are people who came to an ICANN meeting who are not represented in SO or an AC because they are just coming for doing some business that's been some dialogues or discussion, it starts to be a headache. And when you add the situation for staff to find a place, to fly the people, to have them enter the country and so on, it's why it's taking more time than we were

---

expecting. And hopefully now that we have a face-to-face in February, we will be able to release something soon after.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Does anybody here have any questions? Tijani, go ahead.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA: It's an addition. As I said yesterday, before we had some considerations to take into account to make the strategy. Now we have a new consideration, most important overarching consideration, which is to make the meetings of ICANN serve the visibility and the credibility of ICANN because we are crossing a very difficult period as everyone said, as Fadi said.

So we need those meetings to be at the service of the visibility of ICANN, of the credibility of ICANN. I will not consider any kind of cost or anything like this. What is important is that ICANN will be in the future inclusive, bring more people, bring people from all over the world, and never think to try to reduce something because it is a cost [issue].

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Any other comments or questions? Okay. Matt, is there anything online? Okay. If that's the case, then thank you. And Sébastien, you weren't here for a long time, but you were here for a good time.

SÉBASTIEN BACHOLLET: Thank you very much, and if you have yourself inputs or ideas or you have questions, please give them to the participants of At-Large who

---

are in this working group. It's very important that they bring along your thoughts and your ideas. They are doing already, but I want to encourage you to go to them. And once again, thank you very much for the five participants. That's very good work, and thank you for all to help us with that.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Okay. Thanks very much, Sébastien. I guess we're waiting for our next speakers from the NomCom, and until then I guess we have... Okay. I was going to try and give everybody a break, but Heidi tells me that we have something that we can defer from a previous issue.

Okay. I'll tell you what. While Heidi is handing out the gala tickets to everybody, I want to raise the question of as you know we have the public forum at the end of the week that happens on Thursday. Does anyone have any topics that they think that the ALAC should be raising at the public forum? If so, this is the time of the meeting where – although it's getting really late in the day – if anyone has ideas of things that we should be bringing up at the public forum, now is the time to say so.

Okay, it looks like many of the hot topics of the day we've already been dealing with in our interactions. Rinalia, go ahead.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM:

I was just whether you think the challenge of the Board this morning should be taken up and aired in public about the cross-community working group and the issue of customer service. It's just a question. I'm not saying it should be. I'm just asking.

---

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay, I want to raise that for anybody else that was in the room between the ALAC and the Board this morning. There was quite a lively exchange to deal with the value and the validity of cross-community working groups. I myself was quite surprised to see that reaction of the CEO of ICANN when the issue was raised. I saw a side of him I don't know if I had seen before or any of us as Holly said. Garth, go ahead.

GARTH BRUEN: If I was at home monitoring that exchange remotely, I would be extremely confused about how to interface with ICANN.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. So I guess the real takeaway from this is how do we express that in the form of a question or a comment, especially when most of the other people were not in the room with us as that went on. Rinalia, I mean, I'm happy to work with you on possibly –

I'll tell you what. Rinalia, I can go offline with you and we can see if there is something worth doing. We can bring it back in time for the ALAC meeting on Thursday and then see if there's something to be made of that. If there is, there is; if not, then we'll see what we can do.

It was a very interesting session. It was, as Garth says, very puzzling, I think. The nature of Fadi's intervention I think was quite surprising to everybody in the room, so there might be a special kind of sensitivity to this particular issue perhaps. We don't know if we struck a nerve or not.

---

So we'll see if we can flush this out in a statement and if not then, well, we'll do it the best we can.

Does anybody have any other hot topics or anything like that that we should consider for bringing to the public forum? As you know, you don't need our blessing to do that. Anybody is welcome to go up, make a statement, get in the queue. That's what it's there for. That's why it's called the public forum.

As a matter of fact, it's kind of difficult for At-Large when we try to consult with the RALOs and the ALSes and the large community that we have and come up with these deliberative statements that take quite some time to make and then somebody gets in a queue and all of a sudden they've got everybody's ear in the matter of a three-minute statement and we've taken months to come up with the same thing.

So I don't know how to put it, but the main point is it is the public forum. Everybody in this room is welcome to air their grievances, their well wishes, or anything else they have on the issue. The purpose behind this was to find out if there was something that ALAC as a body or At-Large as a body wanted to say at the public forum.

Outside of what Rinalia had just mentioned, I don't see anything. So if that's the case, I was hoping to move on to the next point. Do we have anyone from the NomCom here? Okay. The NomCom is on their way.

Okay. Show of hands. Who wants a five-minute break while we're waiting for the NomCom to come in? Okay. Five-minute break. Please, be here at 20 past the hour. Thanks.



---

Alright. Good afternoon, everybody. It is 29 past the hour and we're going to continue the ALAC working session today. And right now, our session is with the Nominating Committee, and they're all here. And so many of you who have been around for a while know Yrjö who has been on the ALAC. And I guess you'll introduce the rest of the members of the committee and what you're doing. And so without further ado, take it away, Yrjö.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO:

Thank you. Thank you, Evan. Okay, good afternoon. Buenos dias. Buenas tardes. Okay. I am NomCom chair 2013 for 24 hours more, and after that Cheryl will take over as chair. She was, of course, the chair-elect in the 2013 committee, and the 2014 chair-elect is Stéphane, and Adam is the associate chair of the 2013 committee. So we come here in some strength to tell you what happened during our work 2013 and what is expected in 2014.

I hope that you are happy with the members of ALAC we gave you, the three. Of course, this year also was exceptional in the sense that in addition to the three Board members we usually nominate this time of year there was a fourth one exceptionally to replace one Board member who resigned. And also we selected two ccNSO members instead of one, so that we had hands full of work I would say.

Our work started in Toronto a year ago or a little bit more than a year ago actually. And I think that we made a couple of very important decisions there in the sense that the ATRT had asked NomCom to be more open, more transparent. And of course we wanted to respond, but at the same time we realized that the basis of the whole business of

---

NomCom is absolute full confidentiality about names, candidate, and that's something that we are not able to compromise on.

However, you can have the process. The process can be open and that data secret still, and that's what we adopted as our motto, as our sort of principle. And that was implemented in two ways. We have had this year open working meetings of the NomCom, which is a historical first. Before the NomCom was, as you know, the NomCom was a black box. It was like the meeting where they selected the pope, and nobody knows anything about it except when there's white smoke and then habemus papam.

Now this time at least we opened the process so that people could watch the operations. We still kept, of course, the data, the names absolutely secret. And the other thing that was a novelty this year was that each month the committee issued a report card which was then sent by the representatives of the various constituencies to these constituencies, and of course they could add their own comments.

So these were the two new things we introduced, and I think that they were well received by the committee. At this stage, I'd like to give the floor to Cheryl.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I tell you what. It's hard to get [inaudible] with some people, isn't it? I mean, he gives me the floor, and then he turns me off. Really. I could do it without the microphone, sir. Remember it's just it wouldn't be interpreted and it wouldn't be recorded. Yes, and this room definitely knows that that's the case.

---

Hello. Seriously, one of the things I'm very excited about presenting back in this room to you all is to just remind you that you've had some amazing talent sent to you to thank you for what I've already seen was a great welcoming. And I guess the two I'm looking at facing this way would admit to the fact that you've been welcomed and facilitated and helped. And I think it's nice for us to see an already engaged community, and technically it's not even day zero for you so that's fantastic. And of course Leon has done the leadership training as well. When did you start? Was it Tuesday or Wednesday?

LEON SANCHEZ:

It was Tuesday. We started on Tuesday, and then we went on for four days.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

So we're talking – and great course, and thank you to Sandra and her team for that course – but we're talking serious commitment. So they've already given us the proof that we've done a good job in 2013.

There were people who did such a good job in 2013 that I couldn't possibly let them go. And if you look very carefully, Yrjö's little tent card that the team here are ahead of the game does not say chair which, of course, he still is. It says associate chair because there's no way I'm letting him go, and he's silly enough to say yes. So he is my associate chair for the next 12 months.

Stéphane, of course, having served in a leadership position within the GNSO, possibly many of you are well familiar with him, and he will grab the microphone shortly and talk about some of the things he's pretty

---

passionate about. But I think what I'd like to do is ask you guys to do a couple of things in terms of feedback for us.

Actually, before feedback I'd like you to do something else for us. The open meeting which Yrjö was just mentioning is going on on the morrow at 10:30 in Atalya, the 24<sup>th</sup> floor. Apparently I'm hearing it's got the best views, so it's worth coming up just for the view. And the extra benefit is of course you will get to watch a NomCom meeting, and really I think that's far more exciting.

But this is a particularly good NomCom meeting for one and all to come, and please do bring your friends and anyone else you see in the corridors having a good time because this is where the report of course that the 2013 NomCom has prepared will be formally presented across and given to the 2014 NomCom as both advice and as a collection of wisdom and of course as a way of trying to ensure continuous improvement.

Speaking of continuous improvement, assuming you're all perhaps going to be talking to one or two other worthy humans between now and say March next year. A couple of you might talk to some people in networks that you have. If you have anybody, or indeed if you yourself feel that you have the criteria that will be published on the NomCom 2014 website that would make the ideal candidate for our leadership roles, and our leadership roles for next year, we have two to the Board. We have one to the GNSO. We have one to the ccNSO. And we have two for ALAC, and that of course is Europe and North America.

So remembering, and you all know very well that there's the geographic limitations on how we do two years around. This year it's two

---

candidates, Europe and North America. So please reach out. We do have some tricks of the trade and tools that I'm happy to leave with your staff so you've got little bookmarks, which are actually quite handy. Feel free to leave them in the airport lounge. If you've met someone and say, "Look, you'd be perfect to join the ALAC," then do do so.

All of the NomComers, and I'm going to ask you to stand up in a minute present and future, so get ready. Stop doing your banking and your Skyping because I'm going to ask you to stand in a minute. Will have these little business card things, and you're more than welcome to have them as well. They have two sides on them. One says recommend a candidate with a URL, which means you just put the name in and we do the follow up. And the other side says actually apply.

I think anyone who does recommend a candidate will appreciate the fact that we give you the option to say whether or not we can identify you as the person who has made that suggestion. That is a choice you are able to make.

And these are really handy. And it's the sort of thing you need to have amongst your own business cards because you'll need these when you're at an entirely unrelated to ICANN function and you meet someone amazing and you go, "They would be really good contributors to" insert the leadership role that we'll be looking at. So please take those, and I'm sure [inaudible] will be excited to not take as many of them back home as she brought here to Buenos Aires.

I would like you very much to also cover some of the details about not just the outreach but also is there anything that the community would

---

like us to build on because I know this community did read those monthly report cards quite closely. But before I hand it over to Stéphane, I want to have all these people who have served on the 2013 NomCom and have managed to get to this room or are serving on the 2014 NomCom – with us excepted of course because I am not going to stand back up again – if you'd stand up so everyone else can see who you are please. Come on. Up, up, up, up, up. Oh, and applause! [applause] I think they need identification. I'm unsure whether they deserve applause just yet, but perhaps the 2013 ones certainly do. Stéphane, a little from you. Thank you.

STÉPHANE VAN GELDER:

Thanks, Cheryl. I'm sure everyone in this room understands how daunting it is to serve alongside Cheryl as chair, so you will understand how nervous I am facing this year. But joking aside, it was an excellent, I believe, 2013 NomCom year and one on which we as a NomCom worked very hard as has been said in transparency and increasing the transparency of the NomCom process.

What we'd like as a leadership team to see going forward whilst carrying that momentum is also to foster increased community engagement into the NomCom process itself. It's up to the NomCom to become more transparent. It's up to the community to carry the process itself and make sure you are all involved.

And the NomCom process as you all know is very important to this community in particular. Make sure you are all involved in that process. We are trying to make it as open as we can, to make it as friendly as we can, to make it as welcoming as we can so that people do interact.

---

And I think it's important to realize that having a nominating committee like the one we have at ICANN is very important for a governance process in general. The nominating committee brings outside blood into the process. It allows people that aren't in the know, that don't know the ICANN ins and outs, that don't know how to get involved, it allows them to get involved. And in that capacity alone, it is a priceless tool.

So we do feel very passionate about it, and we would love to have your support as a community both through recommendations as Cheryl and Yrjö have said through candidate recommendations but also through process recommendations. There was as was mentioned that the 2013 NomCom produced a newsletter, tried to communicate more openly. What did you think about that? What's missing? What do you want from us? We are very much in listening mode and very much would welcome that interaction. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I wonder, Yrjö and Stéphane, if we could just pause now for exactly that question to perhaps be answered. Does anyone in this community – and it doesn't matter whether you're at the table or at the back or the side of the rooms or indeed whether you're about to be a NomCom appointee or a NomCom member. Because I think it would be nice to actually hear from those who went through the process. We've got some sitting here. So Leon, if you'd like to tell us how to do it better, now is the opportunity. Any comments? Any suggestions? I can probably guess one or two which I'll bring in if needs be. I see Tijani, and did I see someone over there. Oh, I see Evan. I thought you were

---

pointing to someone. You were waving. Okay. Tijani, then Evan, then Eduardo.

TIJANI BEN JEMAA:

Thank you. I really thank you for the selection of 2013. I really appreciate your choices, and I hope that you will always go in this direction, selecting the best available. I don't agree with Yrjö when he says [unfortunately] this year we had to appoint a third Board member. I am really [pleased] because we appoint this particular third member, or fourth member, excuse me. Fourth member, yes. Wolfgang will be really something fantastic for ICANN to be on the Board.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Evan.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH:

Hi. Thanks. I've got a couple of questions, I guess, that go to the criteria, the first of which is a general one. Do you see there being a change in the criteria as the Board needs, for instance, of ICANN move from an organization that has been [seeing] through the gTLD program and that has required a certain kind of skill and a certain kind of talent to now a Board that is going to be weathering the storms of the governance challenges that have been indicated in the opening speeches and that we've known about for some time? Do you see that as requiring a different kind of selection, a different kind of view for the Board?

The other one, I guess, is a little – the other question I have, I don't know if you'll consider it related or not. You want to answer them



---

together or separate. But I think it was either in the original interaction that he had with ALAC or it might have been yesterday. It's becoming a blur. When Steve Crocker gets up and he says, "I want a Board where I wouldn't be good enough to be on it." I talked to some people afterwards, and then that becomes really intimidating when you're looking for people out in the audience. They're saying, "Well, I might have thought about it, but I don't have a hope in hell if someone like Steve Crocker is not good enough for the process." I think, Cheryl, you've said it once or twice yourself. You say you want a Board...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I'm not good enough for the process.

EVAN LEIBOVITCH: Okay. Then you have people that I know that have been looking around and say, "I don't have a hope in hell of this." And how does that affect your outreach? How do on one hand tell people that the bar to some people may be unattainably high while at the same time wanting to try and get as big an outreach as possible? Thanks.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you for the question, Evan. Let me first of all put on my ATRT-1 hat because it was from recommendations from the first Accountability and Transparency Review Team that said to the ICANN Board that what the ICANN Board has to do with the NomCom amongst other things is give them NomCom every year a set of criteria which are additional to the base set that we have – which are of good character and all of those things that you should know by heart and that applies to all positions –

---

with what they do. How they do it we weren't saying, but what they have to do we did say.

And what we recommended was some form of gap analysis or needs analysis so that they could tell the NomCom each year what they may indeed need. If one year what they need is people who can knit and crochet, then we will be told that on one year. And I'm going to get to the second part with the Steve quote in a minute.

Now what that means, what it should mean is that the Board can then be dynamic not static and it can be able to keep up with meeting the rapidly changing and growing environment or the static environment that it has. We also have a Board that works in a work committee or work group or subcommittee modality.

And what a NomCom has to be aware of and what we would like to make sure that the Board tells us each time is when you've got a risk of people who are playing key roles in one of those subcommittees and they have the only sets of skills that would be on the Board to do those, then we need to make sure similar sets of skills are plugged in to replace if they're not continuing.

So that said, what that means is the criteria can, and I'm hoping in fact that it will, change every year. Because once we've filled up with people that run \$200 million [loan] companies or have in excess of 150 direct people under their management, we don't need 20 of those people. We might need two.

So it would change, and so what we need to do is make sure in our outreach that when we are looking for people to put themselves in for

---

the SOIs each year that they don't just look for the baseline criteria which is always there. They particularly look for the year-by-year criteria and desirable characteristics, and then they can say, "Ah, I specifically do have that skill" or "I don't have that skill, but I think I've got other things that compensate."

And in fact, what would be wonderful is if everyone had the NomCom page as their homepage and before they read their e-mail they were looking at that, but I know people just don't look to that information. So maybe as leaders one or two of you should take the responsibility that when we post that you read what those criteria are, and then you can reach out appropriately.

And it leads me to one other point before I talk about the thing that Steve said, and that is if you have knowledge of someone or even if you have been yourself a prior year candidate and you have not got through the particular process and you have not been selected, it does not mean you may not be selected in a coming year because that year's criteria might be markedly different than when you tried the first time.

So I think we need to watch what's asked for. I'm really pleased to say it's also all of the receiving organizations that are asked for this outward "what do you need." You know ALAC is asked for "what do you need." The GNSO is asked. And the ccNSO has now taken it as a formal process and they give us written advice after they put it in front of the membership which says "we do or do not need another intellectual property lawyer." And if they want one, we'll do our best to get them one.

---

With what Steve said, part of it is aspirational, and I do actually understand where he's coming from. This is not a mom and pop company. This is not small business. This is becoming more and more important to have relevance at a new geopolitical level, and the majority of what the NomCom appointees need to do is bring in things that are not probably the core characteristics and skillsets and experience of those that come to the Board via the direct AC and SO appointments.

So an argument I can make very strongly is that what we should be doing is actually appointing fully and absolutely independent directors. We're not asked to do that, but I could make a strong argument that that should be the case. So I hear and I understand what Steve is saying. He's also saying that as a rapidly growing and changing organization, the Board just like all of the leadership structures needs to be the best of the best.

But what we're saying is we can only choose from those who come into the puddle, and so we can only choose the best from what we have. But, yes, it might put some people off. And you know what? Maybe that's not a bad thing.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO:

If I might continue, your first question about a candidate who would be able to weather these political storms we have now, I could say that perhaps the 2013 committee actually anticipated some of these storms in our choices.

---

The other thing is that we want to have criteria. We want to have advice and whatever. But they are not specifications like you give specifications to a supplier, I mean, so-and-so many whatever millimeter and so on and so forth because as Cheryl said we depend on the candidate field, first of all. We don't manufacture them. And the second is that even a year is a long time, and sometimes we have to think ourselves of what actually are the main criteria if situations change during the year as they seem to be changing rapidly these days. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Eduardo, I hope you can remember your question.

EDUARDO DIAZ RIVERA: Thank you, Cheryl. I just have a quick question. You mentioned there are two slots for the Board, and my question is if there is any geographical restriction to those two.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: No, not this year.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: I think that the geographical, it is quite wide because as you know there has to be one Board member from each region. On the other hand, five is the maximum from any one region. And in practice I think that it's very seldom that the nominating committee will be limited in its choices by this because this bandwidth is really wide. Thank you.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: As I just ask [inaudible] to have a quick think and a double check because there are some years where there is. And whilst there's no requirement as there often is and I'm looking specifically around for the – ah, there they are over at that side. We are light on Asia Pacific. We are very light on Asia Pacific.

While we're on diversity questions because that was a nice segue go diversity questions, this is all about meritocracy. It is about the best of the best. There is an intention to get as much equity in geography, gender, and – what else does it say – cultural, “geographic, gender, and cultural diversity” as possible, but it is not affirmative action for females on the Board. You've actually got to be merited.

What we would like to see, however, is much greater gender equality, geographic equality, and cultural diversity in the candidate pool that we have to look at in the beginning. And when you read the report and you listen to what happens from the report from the 2013 to the 2014, all of the statistics of where the numbers came from, how many we got from particular geographic regions, how many were of a particular gender, all of that is there. And I'd encourage you to look at that material and maybe think “we should do something about that.”

Yes, Rinalia.

RINALIA ABDUL RAHIM: I'm sorry. Wasn't Evan ahead of me or somebody else? No? Okay. Thank you. I believe in the NomCom process because I think that it is a very rigorous process that tends to bring in high-quality candidates. I'd like to make a suggestion, and also I have a question.

---

So the suggestion is I would like the next NomCom to adopt a culture of responsiveness and vigilant notification of your candidates. For example, if you have candidates applying and they have their references provided in terms of names and e-mails if for example the referees don't come back fast enough, the candidates need to be notified quite early because that's quite crucial.

Also, if candidates are going to be interviewed or not interviewed, those decisions need to be conveyed as early as possible as well. That's quite crucial because I think that's an agonizing point for the candidate.

In terms of questions, I know that for incumbent appointees, feedback in terms of their performance from the chairs of their stakeholder groups, etc. What happens to that feedback after it has been [considered]? Is it in the system? How long does it stay in the system, etc.? Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

I'll start with the end. Every piece of information that is the business of any year's NomCom is only in that year's NomCom's brain, and they're not even to keep in on their computers. So it does not last. It is in fact one of the problems we have because we actually have more problems taking our [learnings on].

What we are looking to and what we would like more candidates to do is say, "Can we keep your SOI for future consideration?" But that's just the SOI. It would be considered fresh, and the references would be requested fresh because you don't carry over materials or information.

---

Even the opinion that one NomCom had how someone was ranked would not be carried over into the other one.

And it's kind of, I think, was it you or Adam who said we have to do a lobotomy or a brain slicing of those who serve two years in a row because we're never quite sure how they're supposed to delete their actual memory. But I mean, technically, those who are serving a second year are supposed to forget all of the things they did, saw, and heard the year before. That certainly doesn't happen.

I hear exactly what you're saying, and there are notes if I've got my notebook out that I've had for quite some time. And there are things that we know we can speed up and make better for the candidates. The other thing is as I have experienced as someone who has done references for a number of candidates for an awful lot of years is finding out that your candidate, the person you've done your reference for, we don't always read. I read the ICANN news, but your referees may not. And so there are some other courtesies that we might be able to put into process.

But that's part of what we will be discussing in our kickoff meeting, which will be on Friday and Saturday literally in this room. I will have it swept for listening devices, just so you know. I know you've all got this room before we do, and I'll have it carefully swept for listening devices because our kickoff in fact is going to be a closed meeting. And there will be some team building exercises and some stuff happening.

Yes, sure can. I was going to ask for any more questions.



---

STÉPHANE VAN GELDER: I want to thank you for your point on responsiveness. And not to give too much away, I can tell you that it was the subject of a lot of discussion in 2013. And it's certainly something that I think the NomCom realizes how unpleasant the process can sometimes be. And we also realize and take very seriously our responsibility to make the process pleasant enough that people who don't get selected don't drop out.

One of the things that was said earlier, I think by Cheryl, was that the criteria change every year. So we don't want to lose those people that may not fit one year but might fit the next. I mean, that is a real challenge for us as representatives of the community.

I also want to stress that another thing that I think we realize and take to heart is our role as ambassadors of the ICANN community. Because don't forget that if we're talking to people that aren't existing community members, we may be the first ICANN representatives they meet. So things like the way we present ourselves, the way we interact with them, these are things that we have discussed. And I know Cheryl will carry this forward because you only get one chance to make a first impression.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: So I'm going to ask you all now, are there any other points on anything to do with nominating committee – mystery, fact, fiction, or knowledge – that you would like to discuss? We've either exhausted them or stunned them.

---

Mr. Chairman, would you care to in a public way give some of us who will be deliberating on your behalf some advice on what type of characteristics you may be looking for in this coming year?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:

Thank you very much, Cheryl. I actually wondered whether you were going to ask that question. But we are reaching the top of the hour and we are kind of running out of time. I was going to summarize quite quickly. We require people of exceptional character – but I think you knew that – hardworking and definitely that are able to spend the hours on the work that we do here.

I must say that the people that you have sent to us last year, and I know that you're not able to share on characteristics from year to year, but I do know that some members have been part of the selection process last year. The people that you have sent us this year appear to be particularly good. So I don't know what characteristics they have yet because I don't know them well enough. But from the characteristics I've seen so far, so far so good. It looks like you're going in the right direction.

I'm sure we will be able to provide you with fuller details of exact details of what's missing now in our mix. Because of course we have a new ALAC that will come in operation in a couple of days' time, and it's only after, I would say, a couple of months that we will know if we are missing any specific skills in our set. But apart from this, I'm not quite sure I can add much more. The ability to converse and the ability, I guess, to be involved and have time to devote to this cause is probably the biggest thing that's needed.

---

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you, Olivier. And I wondered if we could then push you to ask because the Board information we will get through this weekend and early after that. We will be asking the other ACs and SOs, and in fact we've already asked the ccNSO to review their last year's to see if there are any changes. Can I ask you to review your last year's to see if there are any changes and to bring those, after you've gone through your community process, bring it back to us as soon as possible, preferably before the end of the calendar year?

And, Yrjö, over to you.

YRJÖ LÄNSIPURO: Yeah, just I remember when I asked you at the beginning of my term, the main point you said was that these people have to be willing and able to work hard, and I think that's one of the criteria for all selections.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. And I don't know whether to thank Evan or chair of ALAC. I thank Evan for wrangling us. You've wrangled us very effectively. Thank you very much. Thank you for having us in your room. And more importantly, can we take our tent cards from this room because we like them? Okay. Because I was trying not to embarrass. Oh, no. They are ours. They are ours. That's alright. Okay. If they're ours, that's fine. I just didn't want to not have these tent cards. Thank you.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: That's fine, Cheryl. Thank you very much for joining us. Just one last thing just wanted to note. We were going to finish early, and that was of course when Evan was chairing. Now that I'm chairing, we're finishing late, which is normal as we always do. I wanted to thank the interpreters for this very, very long day. [applause] And of course thanks to the audio/visual people and to staff who have been working very, very hard today. [applause] And there is an announcement from Heidi before we close.

HEIDI ULLRICH: Thank you, everyone. Please, everyone is invited to the ALAC cocktail with the Board today at 18:15. That's just in a few minutes. And it's in the Retiro foyer, which is just right around the corner here, this building on the right hand side on this floor all the way around. For those of you who were in the ALAC, you know that. Okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, and with this. This meeting is now closed. Thanks, and see you later in the week. Bye-bye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPT]